Passports, Visas & Money


Unless you are an Australian or New Zealand citizen, you will need a visa to enter Australia. New Zealand passport holders can apply for a visa upon arrival in Australia.

All other passport holders must apply for a visa before leaving home. There are a range of visas that you can apply for including tourist visas, student visas and working holiday visas at your nearest Australian Consulate.

Before leaving home, there are a number of important things you should know about applying for and being grant an Australian visa. These include applying for the right type of visa that suits your circumstances, meeting all application requirements, your obligations while visiting or staying in Australia and the importance of complying with visa conditions.

For more detailed information, it is strongly suggested you visit the Australian Government Department of Immigration and Citizenship .

Customs and Quarantine

Australia has a strict customs laws that prevents visitors from bringing drugs, weapons, firearms, protected wildlife and steroids (plus more) into Australia. Some common items such as fresh or packaged food, meats, eggs, fruit, plants, seeds, skins and feathers are also prohibited. Declare it!

Before entering Australia, you will be given an Incoming Passenger Card, which is a legal document.

You must mark YES on your card if you are carrying plant material, animal products or certain food (such as those listed above). Declared items will be assessed by a Department of Agriculture and Water Resources officer during your border clearance.

Before arriving in Australia you will also need to declare:

  • Cash amounts over $10,000
  • Medicine brought into Australia for personal use – it is recommended that you are carrying a prescription or letter from your doctor outlining your medical condition and the medicine you are carrying

For more information, it is strongly suggested you visit the Australia Government Customs & Quarantine page .


You don’t require vaccinations to travel to Australia, unless you have come from, or visited a yellow fever infected country within six days of your arrival into the country.

For more information, it is strongly suggested that you read the Australian Government Yellow fever fact sheets .


It is highly recommended that before partaking in any form of travel that you take out a travel insurance policy that covers theft, loss, accidents and medical problems. If you plan on doing any adventure sports (this could even include hiking), it is suggested that you check to make sure that your policy fully covers you.

The Australian Government has reciprocal agreements covering limited subsidised health services for medical treatment with some countries through Medicare. For more detailed information go to the Medicare Australia website.


Australia’s currency is Australian Dollars (AUD) and currency exchange is available at most banks, hotels and international airports OR at these Travelex locations.

Good and Services Tax

Australia has a Goods and Services Tax (GST) of 10 per cent. You may be able to claim a refund of the GST paid on goods bought in Australia if you have spent AUD$300 or more in one store, no more than 30 days before departing Australia. Tourist Refund Scheme facilities are located in the departure area of international terminals. For more detailed information see Australian government information on the Tourist Refund Scheme HERE.

Tipping and Bargaining

Australia hotels and restaurants do not add serve charges to bills and tipping is not customary. However, tipping is always the customer’s choice and in upmarket restaurants or service providers, tipping is often appreciated.

Need assistance with your travel?

Fuel your wanderlust & stay in touch!


Acknowledgement of Country - We would like to acknowledge the traditional owners of the lands and waterways of the Moreton Bay Region, the Kabi Kabi/Gubbi Gubbi, Jinibara, and Turrbal people and pay our respects to their Elders, past, present and emerging. We recognise the ongoing connection that Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people have to this land and recognise Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people as the original custodians of this land.